Why is this Depression era cake wacky? Well, it has a few unusual ingredients, but it also is made directly in the cake pan... so less dishes to wash up!
| || |
- Preheat oven to 350F
- in a 8x8 inch cake pan, mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt until well blended
- add the water, vegetable oil, vinegar and vanilla
- stir gently until all the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- sprinkle chocolate chips onto the top of the batter
- bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until done
- to test for doneness, insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake. There should be no wet batter clinging to the toothpick when the cake is done
- cool cake in pan on a wire rack